Ok, people, I'm back and I'm desperately trying to catch up with the times! So, here we are, back in November during the Thanksgiving break.
The great thing about the area we're in is that we're so close to so many historical places. So, a day trip to a battlefield or old building is perfectly doable.
On this day, we went to visit Woodlawn (built between 1800 and 1805), the estate of George Washington's nephew, Major Lawrence Lewis, and his wife, Nelly Custis.
A short walk from the estate was the Pope-Leighey House, designed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1939. Originally, the house wasn't in this location, but it was moved to save it from flooding. This house we visited, too.
The cool thing about this house is that it was designed to be perfectly symetrical on the outside.
The Pope Leighey House, on the other hand, is not designed to be symetrical. Infact, every picture I took of the building was completely different! Above is one of the windows. All the windows in the house followed this design, but boards were just rotated to give the appearance that different designs were used. (and that's only one of the cool features of this building! but for your sake, I won't go into details)
No comments:
Post a Comment