Saturday, March 29, 2008

My New Waitressing Career

So, my parents had a dinner party. My amah, Dona, and I were cooking and waitressing (well, SHE was cooking....but I helped arrange! ;-P)
So, setting up originally went well. But then everyone sat down and I had to serve rolls, and...let's just say it didn't go quite so well....
So, the rule is "serve from the right, take from the left" right? So I served that way, to the bread plate on the right. Except when I got to the end of the table, I found out the bread plate was on the left.....To embarass myself further...:
When asked which type of rolls we had, I replied: "whole grain and not whole grain"
When asked for which type of roll I would recommend: "personally, I prefer white, but if you would like to be more correct, I would take whole grain."
And then I missed the plate with my tongs and dropped a roll on the table.
Run to the kitchen.
When it came time to take away the salad plates, I came out too early.
When taking away the plates, I nearly dropped a knife.
Soup, fortunately, I didn't spill.
The main course came along smoothly (except for nearly tossing beef stir fry over the side of the plate when arranging...), except I abandoned all waitressing ettiquete and served left and right.
Clearing after the main course, I barely managed not to spill. And nearly ended up forgetting the bread plates.
The deserts came out alright.
Clearing after deserts was fine too.
Then came the coffee and tea round, when I actually started sounding kindof proffesional, except...well....let's just say I forgot the coffee cups? But then serving went fairly well, except the guests were teasing me a lot, but I'm a big girl, right? ;-P
All in all, I think it was a good experience though. Wasn't nearly as easy as knowingly drinking salt, pepper, and rice water earlier today though ;-D

No comments: